Thursday, May 5, 2011

Welcome Back Cougar Town!

In this picture, from the April 20th episode, these three babysit on "Cougar Town"
Credit: ABC

I share some thoughts about Cougar Town after the jump.

I feel really bad about not writing about this show since it returned on April 18th. Quite frankly, my time for writing about TV has been very slim and I had to prioritize the shows that I write about. This was one of the shows that fell through the cracks because I always had something else going on preventing me from writing about this show. But if I were to have written about this show, my response would have been pretty simple, heck I think Laurie says it best: "LAUGH". I really do love this show, but my response to it isn't anything more then that was very funny. The show does try very hard to have the perfect combination of emotional stuff and funny stuff and it usually works perfectly, it's just not usually enough to elicit an analytical response from me.

But that's really nothing against the show, because it's pretty damn funny. This ensemble is brilliant and is starting to work together like a finely tuned machine. The show knows exactly the type of jokes it likes to tell and exactly how its characters work and it's able to use this to make consistently good episodes. But even with a lot of funny, the show never fails to try to pull out something with heart. While this something doesn't always land perfectly, it usually works. For example, the scene involving Travis proposing to Kirsten with Jules watching. Scenes like that are brilliantly put together and play off our relationships with the characters very well.

Like I said, I generally have a great time watching the show, but it's not something that lends itself to analysis. I'll be back after the finale on May 25th (which is one hour!) to discuss the last eight episodes as a whole.

What has everyone else thought about these last few episodes of Cougar Town?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!