Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How I Met Your Mother-"The Perfect Cocktail"

Robin and Lily plan a makeup on "How I Met Your Mother"
Credit: CBS

My thoughts on last night's episode of How I Met Your Mother are after the jump.

This episode of How I Met Your Mother really embodies my feelings towards this season of the show. It was an uneven episode with one plotline that I really liked and one that I really didn't. In terms of a joke basis, this was a very funny episode with a lot of funny material for this cast to play, but the storylines involving the ongoing arc has me very upset. 

I'm going to start with the Zoey plotline, which has me very upset. For the umpteenth time I'm feeling the same way. The show specifically told us that this plotline isn't going anywhere, so why should  it be spending more time with it? I'm going to leave the romantic side of it at that for fear of continuing to repeat myself. And on the Arcadian arc, the show almost made me care about it by making Marshall the head lawyer for Zoey and her team. I thought that that was a good step for the character because of what that evil lawyer from GNB did to him. That was the only thing that made a little bit of sense from the plotline though, as Zoey continued to annoy the crap out of me, especially because she's a temporary character and I can't get invested in any conflict involving her.

The plotline that worked for me was the plotline that involved Robin and Lily using different types of alcohol to stop the feud that was going on between Barney and Marshall. The thing that worked for me in that plotline was the absolute silliness of it. I've criticized shows for doing this before because they don't quite get it right, but this plotline was silly enough that it really worked for me. All the cutaway gags involving the different versions of Barney and Marshall worked very well and were very funny. I also loved the booth war that happened, and how the girls ended it with the dirty photo. Honestly, I had a lot of fun watching it and that's why it worked as a plotline. 

Overall, this was a very uneven episode. I didn't like the Zoey plotline, but the Lily and Robin plotline was enough to keep the episode from completely falling apart.

What did everyone else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!