Saturday, May 21, 2011

"The Big Bang Theory"-Season in Review

Sheldon, Penny, and Raj share an awkward dinner on "The Big Bang Theory"
Credit: CBS

(This post is the first in a series in which I write generally about shows that I don't usually cover.)

I don't write about the Big Bang Theory on a weekly basis because it's generally a show that I don't have a deep reaction to while I watch it. It's perfectly funny, but it doesn't give me a lot to say about it every week. Now that the season is over, I do have some general thoughts, which are after the jump.

Like I said before the jump, this show is perfectly capable of being funny on a regular basis. This season was a solid season of television. The reason why I don't write about it on a regular basis is that it doesn't do anything on a weekly basis that's different. It essentially does the same show every week. I have no problem with that, as this is a show that my family and I are happy to watch together every week. It just doesn't give me a lot to go on for a review.

What this season did differently then season three was it added some peripheral female characters that changed the dynamic of the show. Mayim Bialik was added as Amy Farrah Fowler, a close female friend to Sheldon. Bialik has done a fantastic job essentially creating a female version of Sheldon who can tolerate his character. She has at times played Amy very over the top, but I generally like her character. 

Bernadette, who was added to the main cast this season, had her presence expanded this season as Howard's girlfriend. This character has grown to become one of my favorite characters on the show. There's a sense of pureness to the humor involving her character that works very well and creates some very funny jokes. It helps that Melissa Rauch and Simon Helberg have very good chemistry and work very well together. They make a cute couple and I'm looking forward to more plotlines with their engagement/possible marriage next season.

I loved that these two characters help fully include Penny into the show. They created a separate group that can have their own plotlines that are very funny. Now Penny has female friends so she can be a part of the show that's not just a foil to Sheldon and crew.

If there's one thing that hasn't worked for me over the course of the season, it's Leonard and Priya as a couple. That's mostly because Priya has been written as this whiny, self-centered character and that type of character can become very grating very quickly and that's exactly what happens. I haven't grown fond of the character at all, almost to the point where I'm actively rooting against them as a couple. I smiled a little bit when Priya could be moving back to India because she's put a horn into the dynamic of the show and the group. She essentially split the group, to a point where I want her off my screen immediately so the cast can return to the slightly varied status quo that was introduced this season.

This show has its moments, like that scene in the finale. Raj and Penny getting caught the night after made for a fantastic cliffhanger that had me (and my Dad) thinking "how are they going to resolve that?"

I'm not sure I'm going to be writing about the Big Bang Theory very much next season. There will probably be a post at midseason and at the end of the season. Even if I won't be writing about it, I will be watching it. It is one of the most consistent multicamera sitcoms on television right now, and one that I enjoy watching.

What did you guys think of this season? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!