Friday, January 21, 2011

Parks and Recreation "Go Big or Go Home"

It's so good to have this show back! Last season it was one of the funniest shows on television and now it's back and better then ever! My full review of last night's season premiere after the jump.

Did I mention how good it is to have this show back? I knew when I saw the show on demand that this would be the NBC comedy that I would watch first. It's ridiculously funny. It is the funniest episode of a tv show I've seen in awhile. The show is really firing on all cylinders and is working really well. Everyone involved takes pure joy in making the show and it shows while watching it.

Amy Poeher is brilliant as Leslie Knope. She is clearly so committed to her character and that allows her to play the character really well. In tonight's episode Leslie really wants to help the citizens of Pawnee. She decides to launch a harvest festival to help the community. This should give the character and Poehler some great material over the course of the season.

Nick Offerman is Ron effing Swanson. He is pitch perfect playing television's best manly man. Ron coaching the basketball team was absolutely hysterical. And need I say more then the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness? The character is so perfect in a very deadpan way. I look forward to watching the show every week for no other reason then getting my fix of Ron Swanson.

Rashida Jones as Ann Perkins was able to be funny as the straight woman of the cast. She usually isn't given much of a chance to be funny but in this episode she is. I thought this was a give step for her. She also has great chemistry with Rob Lowe (which is a relationship I really want to succeed).

Rob Lowe and Adam Scott have been great editions to the cast. It really doesn't feel like they are new to the cast at this point. It feels like they've been in the cast for the whole series. Rob Lowe is very funny. He shows that he doesn't just work because he's handsome, he works because he can be funny too. His character's positivity is very, very funny and Lowe plays it very well. Plus he has great chemistry with Jones and I look forward to the development of their relationship. Adam Scott plays Ben with deadpan brilliance. He is very calm and collected as Ben and it really works. He is a very versatile actor and I hope he gets to show it. The show also wants you to notice the chemistry between Scott and Poehler and I'm not invested yet but the relationship hasn't been fully developed that.

Aziz Ansari has done a great job playing Tom. Even if his character isn't the most mature character, he's still very funny. Tom as a basketball referee was comic gold. I look forward to where they're going to take the character this season.

Is it just me or should Andy (Chris Pratt) and April (Aubrey Plaza) be together already? They have such great chemistry and the tension is clearly shown. I just wish that they were together. I hope that the show decides to do this in this season.

It was a great premiere and I could write about it for a long time but this is all I had time to write.

I'm so glad to have this show back on the air!

Who else is a fan of the show?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!