Monday, June 13, 2011

Veronica Mars-"Credit Where Credit's Due"

Paris Hilton Guest Stars on "Veronica Mars"
Credit: Warner Bros. TV
I continue my look back at Veronica Mars with the second episode. My thoughts are after the jump.

The second episode of Veronica Mars didn't do a whole lot, but what it did was well executed. I'm starting to get a feel for the way that the show works, and I think that this is the type of show that will be fun to watch. It does a simple self-contained plotline in each episode that is fun, and then it contributes small clues to the overall mystery. I'm very happy with this formula. Through two episodes, it seems to be working. It creates episodes that are fun to watch and keep my interest.

In this episode, Weevil's grandmother was accused of credit card fraud (from stealing her boss's credit card offer). This was a fun, little plotline that ended up having a lot of twits that I wasn't expecting at all. I was surprised that it was actually Weevil's cousin, and not Logan. Honestly, I was hoping that it was Logan who committed the crime because he's such a douchebag that I was hoping that he was put away. At this stage of the show, I really hate his character. I don't know what role they're going to try to put him in, but they're going to have to do a lot to make me want to like his character.

The overall mystery continues to be intriguing. We don't have answers to any questions, but I'm not looking for answers this early in the game. I'm looking for the subtle hints that will prove to be huge in the future. We did get a few of those in this episode. The big one is that someone got the time of death wrong because Lilly Kane ran a red light two hours after her "death".  This completely opens up the field of potential murderers to include the Kane family. This is a juicy twist that was a great way to completely open up the investigation. I don't know where the show is going to take this, but I can't wait to find out.

Some other thoughts:
  • Kristin Bell continues to give a dynamic and exciting performance. The inflection that she performs with is something brilliant.
  • Love the opening credits! They capture the attitude of the show perfectly.
  • We're now introduced to the plotline that Veronica is a photographer for her school paper. I wonder how the show is going to tie that into the show. This is a very interesting move with great potential.
  • This is the first show that used Paris Hilton to her full potential, looking hot. 
  • Neptune is a very unforgiving town. I noticed this in the pilot, but it became increasingly noticeable in this episode.
  • Percy Daggs III didn't do a lot for me in the episode, but that's because he didn't do a lot.
Overall, the Second episode of Veronica Mars proved that the formula for the show works. It introduced the twist to the Lilly Kane plotline that I never saw coming and that have drawn me in further to the series.

What did everyone else think?

Next Week: Next week we move on to episode three, "Meet John Smith". However, due to finals, next week's review will be delayed until Thursday 6/23. Sorry folks, no way to write a review before then.

For more information about the Old TV Watch Project and an archive of previous Veronica Mars reviews, please go to the home of the project right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!