Thursday, June 23, 2011

Advanced New Show Review: USA's "Suits"

The cast of "Suits"
Credit: USA

My review of the new USA Network drama Suits is after the jump.

Suits is very much another USA show. I could just write that and sum up my view of this show perfectly. This legal drama which stars Gabrial Macht and Patrick J. Adams is perfectly fine. In fact, it was my favorite of the two new USA shows this summer. (The only disclaimer with the second one is that I have only seen the pilot for Necessary Roughness). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the series. I can't say I enjoyed it as much as any of the other premieres tonight, (in fact, it was the worst of all the series that premiere tonight) but it's certainly not a bad show. It's perfectly mundane and fine, like the average summer drama.

(For all of the spoilerphobes out there)The following is not spoiler information because it was posted in the promos.), The series follows Patrick J. Adams's Mike Ross. At the beginning of the series, Mike is not in the best place. He cheats for people on the LSATs and in the pilot gets involved in some dangerous work. On a whim, he runs into the room where Gabriel Macht's Harvey Specter is interviewing for an associate. He gets hired by Specter and is set to work pretty much immediately. The series is a procedural surrounding the two of them and the cases they solve.

If it reminds me of any of the shows on USA, it reminds me of a young White Collar. That show had the same growing pains plot wise from which Suits suffers. The problem right now is that it can't come up with an interesting case. Neither the case presented in the pilot nor the case presented in episode 2 were especially interesting. That's the major crutch that the show has right now, and it's a very easy thing for a show to fix.

Another reason that the show reminds me of a young White Collar is that it sets up a dynamic very similar to the one that White Collar has. There are two leads, and they have to learn to trust each other. It's trying to build up a friendship between the two leads, and that's one thing that it's getting right. The friendship between Harvey and Mike is what's keeping the show at a level where it's interesting to watch. Macht and Adams have strong chemistry and it shows. They are trying to build the show around the two of them. I don't know if the show around them is any good, but they certainly are good as leads.

That's because the supporting cast is either very underused or just not interesting. The show has freaking Gina Torres (of Firefly) and barely uses her. She doesn't get to do much in the pilot and the second episode and it's very disappointing. They have such a talented actress there and I really hope that they find a way to use her talent this season. If they don't, I'm going to be very disappointed. They also have Rick Hoffman as Louis Leaky, another lawyer at the firm. The problem with his character is that it's just not interesting at all. It falls into stereotypes for the type of character that he is. The other supporting characters played by Meghan Markle and Sarah Rafferty fail to register at all, even if Markle is on screen a lot.

My overall view is that I don't hate Suits, I just don't find it particularly interesting. If you're not a fan of the FX comedies, I would recommends sticking around after Burn Notice and watching this series. You won't regret watching it, you just might not enjoy it immensely.

Suits Premieres Thursday (Tonight) at 10PM on USA.

2 comments:

  1. Found a new show, sure hope Suits catches on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show is painfully slow. The cases as stated in the review are really dumb. I guess if you have no life and need to sit on your couch, this will do. But the only reason anyone could like this show is if they don't care about having anything clever in the plot.

    ReplyDelete

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!