Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pilot Review: "New Girl"

Isn't Zooey Deschanel "adorkable" on "New Girl"?
Credit: FOX

Some thoughts on the pilot of the new series New Girl are after the jump.

Of all the comedy pilots that I have seen this year, this one jumps out to me as knowing exactly what the show is. This is the Zooey Deschanel show. This is going to be a show where Zooey Deschanel plays a Zooey Deschanel character very well. Everything else with the show is almost unimportant. This is very much a star vehicle. Because I like Zooey Deschanel, I enjoyed this pilot very much. It was a solid pilot. It wasn't great, but there are very few comedy pilots that can call themselves great. It had quite a few laughs and it started with some solid characters.

Honestly, if you're tuning into this show, you're probably tuning in to watch Zooey Deschanel. The word that FOX has used in promotion to describe her character (and that I make a mockery of in the picture caption) is adorkable. The reason why they have been using this word is that Jess is slightly eccentric. She has her quirks to her. This is what makes Deschanel excel in the role. She nails the balance in Jess's quirks and makes sure that they never go too far in either direction. Even if I make mockery of the word "adorkable," Deschanel makes sure that the word is accurate.

They surround Jess with three men. One is played by Damon Wayans Jr. I almost don't think it's worth spending any time discussing his character because he will be written out of the show next week. He is fine in the pilot, but he will not be a part of the permanent dynamic.

Max Greenfield plays Schmidt . He is the typical character that is a douchebag. My usual problem with this role is that the shows are not knowledgeable that this character is a horrible person. At least on this show, the show knows. A very funny running gag throughout the pilot is that whenever Schmidt does something horrible, he has to put a dollar into the "douchebag jar." This is something that was usually funny. At least this show is aware that he is a horrible person and hopefully they can tone it down in the future.

Jake Johnson plays Nick. This may be my favorite of the roommates because of how down-to-Earth his character is. Sure, he calls his ex-girlfriend in random accents. Besides this, he is actually a human being. He is a normal person who is capable of being funny. I also noticed some chemistry between him and Deschanel. That's probably a relationship that they will build over the course of the series. I'm going to wait and judge that until later in the series.

This is going to be a show that I will happily watch in the future. It's on in a timeslot where I can add it to my DVR schedule. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new guy (played by Lamorne Morris) fits into the dynamic. That's the only thing that can change my opinion of the series as it moves forward. I really like Deschanel. If I didn't, this show probably wouldn't be as tolerable as it is. This is a solid pilot, and that's from someone who doesn't like comedy pilots.

What did everyone else think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Some ground rules for you to follow when commenting here:
1. This is probably the most important rule: be nice. I will not tolerate any rudeness towards other commenters or myself.
2. Be relevant, comments will be deleted if they are not relevant to the discussion.
3. No spoilers, I and many other people don't want to know what your mother's, sister's, best friend's, brother said about what's going to happen on Chuck. There are many places for discussing what's going to happen on the show in the future, this isn't one of them.
4. Please hit preview to preview your comment before pressing post comment to be sure that it will be logged.

Thank you, keep reading, and enjoy the conversation!